Tuesday, July 7, 2009

a filthy mess....




So here are some sketches I did for the Filthy Rich cover. Definitely fun to just sit down with a brush and go for it. Although the clear choice was definitely the one we went with, the other options always seem to shed a bit of light on the creation process in general. This is also definitely the phase where I have the most fun in any cover gig. If possible, I try to take the sketches as far as possible without actually making a 'finished' piece. If I can answer as many questions as possible while working out the basic drawing and composition, there always seem to be less hurdles to jump on the final. The risk is always that you beat the life out of it. The trick is really knowing when to just let things go. A trick I CLEARLY have not learned.....

1 comment:

  1. Man those covers really are like "book" stylish if you ask me. I really love the 1st and 3rd. Nothing wrong with the 2nd but theres just something damn intriquing element to those two other more for me personally. :) Great work and hey tomorrow wednesday comics! :)

    ReplyDelete